Sunday, April 6, 2008

Blood & Guts

A few weeks back, there was an obit for a lady from France who'd been a spy. Then a few days ago, there was another.

I've got the clips somewhere and I'll do a more in depth analysis, but ultimately I wanted to note their passing.

They were spies. They led troops. They saved men. One was a little feminine thing and she made numerous trips over various mountain ranges, leading downed pilots to safety. She got medals and acclaim, but in the end, until she died, who knew?

The other lady was less "hands on" shall we say, but equally important.

So why aren't they the stuff of legends? Why aren't they listed in the "Greatest Generation" bestsellers? What happened to the women who gave their lives?

I'm getting a slow start, but I'm not giving up on the commemorative projects I envision for these brave souls.

If you have other anecdotes, if you know women who gave their all - or even a lot - let me know. Because I'm here for the long haul and I'll have these ladies' contributions in print or else.

No comments: